Online Degrees in West Virginia
In an effort to increase the rates of degree completion amongst residents, the state of West Virginia is turning to online education opportunities. To this end, a $500,000 grant was given to the state to provide wide-area networks and campus computing systems to schools across the state to extend the service to adult learners as well. The e-Learning initiative meant for Educators has given a chance to state educators to enhance their online networking opportunities and professional development.
Online Colleges and Universities:
When it comes to online education, the fact that for-profit schools have controlled the game thus far is true, but things have changed now with most traditional schools adding online learning options. Student opportunities have therefore expanded further making education more convenient and accessible to them. In 2013, about eight West Virginia schools provided some kind of distance education via entire degree or certificate programs or individual classes. For instance, five undergraduate online programs are offered by West Virginia University, besides 29 blended or online graduate certificate or degree programs. Every semester has hundreds of graduate and undergraduate courses available online.
Higher Education Initiatives
- West Virginia Learning Network – This is a major network of degrees, courses and online schools in the state made available on the web. There are 11 state universities and colleges on this network, besides ten technical and community colleges in the entire state. Its ultimate mission is to offer courses and degree programs to all citizens in the state in an online format.
- Online Readiness Tool – This is a short online quiz that students can take in order to discover where they stand giving them an understanding as to whether or not they can take a particular online course.
Following are some online colleges and universities in West Virginia:
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg
- Bluefield State College
- West Virginia University
- Marshall University
- Alderson Broaddus College
- Wheeling Jesuit University
- University of Charleston